University summer schools were the very first project initiated and funded by the Sutton Trust back in 1997. Since then, thousands of young people have benefitted from the Sutton Trust Summer School experience and have subsequently progressed to the UK’s top universities. In 2014, we are significantly expanding the places available and will provide this fantastic opportunity to over 1900 students.
Download the Booklet here: Summer School bklt 2014
The 2014 Sutton Trust Summer Schools are open to students (home UK only) currently studying in Year 12 or S5 in Scotland (or equivalent) atmaintained schools or colleges in the UK.
Priority will be given to students who meet all or most of the following criteria:
• will be the first generation in their family to attend university
• have achieved at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE, 5 credit passes at Standard Grade or equivalent
• are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for
• attend schools or colleges with a low overall A-level, Higher/Advanced Higher (or equivalent) point score and / or schools or colleges with low progression to higher education
• come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education or high levels of socio economic deprivation
• are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care
• are under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school
The Sutton Trust and the universities will meet all costs incurred by students, including:
• travel to and from the summer schools
• food and accommodation
• all trips and activities
Students need only bring pocket money with them for any personal
spending during their week away from home.